Your privacy is important to us. When running Hawthorne, we follow a few fundamental principles:
- We don’t ask you for information unless we truly need it. That being said, what we do ask for is solely to enable us to build an amazing customized experience and to communicate with you.
- We don’t share your information with third parties except to deliver our Services and products, comply with the law, make Hawthorne better, protect our rights, or effectuate a business transfer.
- We’re not a huge, faceless corporation. We’re just normal people trying to deliver an incredible experience. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
How You Accept this Policy
What Information does Hawthorne Collect?
We may collect a variety of information about you:
- Information from Third Party Services (defined below) that you explicitly give us access to;
- Your contact information, such as your first name, last name, mailing address, phone number, social media handle, or email (depending on how you contact us);
- Your account information, such as the username and password you may establish or be assigned in connection with our Services, and such other information you may choose to provide us in connection with your account;
- Your payment information, such as your credit card information (although we use a third party payment processor) and billing address if you make purchases through our Sites;
- Questionnaire responses you chose to provide such as: (i) information about your diet, alcoholic beverage preference, self-estimated body temperature, smoking habits, and self-estimated skin oil level; (ii) information about your lifestyle, such as place and dress of work, how you spend your Saturday nights, fragrance preferences and fashion sense; and (iii) details about your background, such as age, and personality type;
- Other information you choose to provide through the Sites or our pages on social networks, such as information you may provide when interacting with us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, or Vimeo; and
- Information we collect automatically when you interact with our Sites, including: (i) the IP address of the device you use to access our Services; (ii) the type of browser software you are using; (iii) the operating system you are using; (iv) the date and time you access or use our Services; (v) the website address, if any, that linked you to our Sites; (vi) the website address, if any, you leave our Sites and travel to; and (vii) other traffic data.
Information You Provide About Other Individuals
If you make a purchase, we may request certain information about a family member, friend, or other individual from whom you are purchasing a product (a “Recipient”) in order to complete your purchase. This may include contact information such as your or their name, email address, and shipping address. If you provide us with a Recipient’s information, you are responsible for obtaining the Recipient’s permission or for otherwise being authorized to do so.
You may have the opportunity to refer friends or other contacts to us. You may only submit a referral if you have permission to provide the referral’s contact information to us. You are responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions from the individual you refer or for otherwise having the authority to make the referral.
Information We Automatically Collect
Like most websites, Hawthorne may incorporate technology such as “pixel tags”, “web beacons”, and “cookies.” Pixel tags or web beacons are tracking devices on websites or in emails that can monitor the behavior of the user visiting the website or sending the e-mail. Cookies (not to be confused with the sugary treat) are small files that web servers may place on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website.
|Type of cookie||Purpose|
|Essential Cookies||These cookies are essential to provide you with Services available through our Sites and to enable you to use some of its features. Without these cookies, the Services that you have asked for cannot be provided, and we only use these cookies to provide you with those Services.|
|Functionality Cookies||These cookies allow our Sites to remember choices you make when you use our Sites. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience and to avoid you having to re-select your preferences every time you visit our Sites.|
|Analytics and Performance Cookies||These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our Sites and how users use our Sites. The information gathered may include the number of visitors to our Sites, the websites that referred them to our Sites, the pages they visited on our Sites, what time of day they visited our Sites, whether they have visited our Sites before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate our Sites more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information, monitor the level of activity on our Sites, and improve the Sites.
|Social Media Cookies||These cookies are used when you share information using a social media sharing button or “like” button on our Sites or you link your account or engage with our content on or through a social networking website such as Facebook or Twitter. The social network will record that you have done this.|
|Targeted and advertising cookies||These cookies track your browsing habits to enable us to show advertising which is more likely to be of interest to you. These cookies use information about your browsing history to group you with other users who have similar interests. Based on that information, third party advertisers can place cookies to enable them to show advertisements that we think will be relevant to your interests while you are on third party websites.
You can disable certain cookies that remember your browsing habits and target advertising at you by visiting http://youronlinechoices.eu/. If you choose to remove targeted or advertising cookies, you will still see advertisements but they may not be relevant to you. Even if you choose to remove cookies by the companies listed at the above link, not all companies that serve online behavioural advertising are included in this list, and so you may still receive some cookies and tailored adverts from companies that are not listed.
Information We Collect From Third Party Services
How We Use the Information We Gather
We primarily use the information we collect and store to enhance Hawthorne. Except if we sell all or a portion of our business, or as otherwise described below, we do not rent, trade, or sell your information.
To Provide Services to You
We use information to create an awesome experience. Some ways we may use your information include to:
- Operate, maintain, administer, and improve the Sites and our Services;
- Facilitate the sale and delivery of your purchases and registrations;
- Contact and communicate with you when necessary;
- Respond to your comments or questions;
- Provide you with additional information according to your preferences;
- Customize and personalize your Hawthorne experience, including our algorithm which helps decide which products may be ideal for you;
- Generate aggregated statistics to help us improve the customer experience and develop new fragrances;
- Make Hawthorne easier and more convenient for you (such as by prepopulating forms when you have already provided identical information);
- Provide recommendations to you;
- Send you information and marketing materials about Services and products available on our Sites as permitted by law (you will have the ability to opt out of such communications);
- Train our team members; or
- Other internal business purposes.
To Protect Us and Others and to Comply with the Law
Aggregated and De-Identified Information
To improve our Services and for our lawful business purposes (including analytics), we may create aggregated and/or anonymous data from the information we collect. When doing so, we do our best to ensure that any aggregated and/or de-identified information cannot be linked back to you.
How We Share Information
We may provide your information to our contractors, agents, service providers, and designees to enable them to perform certain services for us exclusively, including:
- Order fulfillment;
- Payment processing;
- Website-related services such as web hosting;
- Improvement of website-related services and features;
- Maintenance services;
- Development of new fragrances or other products; or
- Distribution of advertisements and other marketing materials on our behalf.
We may choose to buy or sell assets or our business. In these types of transactions or potential transactions, customer information is typically one of the business assets that would be transferred. Also, if we (or our assets) are acquired, or if we go out of business, enter bankruptcy, or go through some other change of control, your information will be one of the assets transferred to or acquired by a third party.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
What information can I access or change?
If you would like to request that we remove or revise your information, please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll work with you. We may decide to not fulfill your request, unless prohibited by law.
If you decide you don’t want to receive text messages, email, or other mail from us, you can opt out of such communications by unsubscribing. Unsubscribing will stop you from receiving most types of communication, but it may not apply to communications about orders or transactions you place through the Services or to respond to your specific request.
Some of the business partners that collect information about users’ activities on our Sites may be members of organizations or programs that provide choices to individuals regarding the use of their browsing behavior or mobile application usage for purposes of targeted advertising. Users may opt out of receiving targeted advertising on websites through members of the Network Advertising Initiative by visiting http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices or the Digital Advertising Alliance by visiting http://www.aboutads.info/choices. Please note that we also may work with companies that offer their own opt-out mechanisms and may not participate in the opt-out mechanisms that we linked above.
If you choose to opt out of targeted advertising, you will still see advertisements online but they may not be relevant to you. Even if you do choose to opt out, not all companies that serve online behavioural advertising are included in this list, and so you may still receive some cookies and tailored advertisements from companies that are not listed.
If you delete your account or request that your information be deleted, we still may retain some information that you have provided to us in order to maintain Hawthorne or to comply with relevant laws.
We are committed to making sure your information is protected and have selected third-party providers that help keep your information safe. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee complete security. Any information that you provide to us is done so entirely at your own risk.
Online Tracking And How We Respond To Do Not Track Signals
Online tracking is the collection of data about an individual’s Internet activity used to deliver targeted advertisements and for other purposes. Some web browsers (including Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome) incorporate a “Do Not Track” (DNT) or similar feature that signals to websites that a visitor does not want to have his/her online activity and behavior tracked. If an online service elects to respond to a particular DNT signal, the service may refrain from collecting certain personal information about the browser’s user. Not all browsers offer a DNT option and there is currently no industry consensus as to what constitutes a DNT signal. Many website operators, including Hawthorne, do not take action to respond to DNT signals. For more information about DNT signals, visit http://allaboutdnt.com/.
Other Sites and Services
The Sites may contain links to other websites and services. These links are not an endorsement, authorization or representation that we are affiliated with that third party. We do not exercise control over third party websites or services, and are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services may follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites you visit and services you use.
Your Rights as a California Resident
If you are a California resident, in addition to awesome weather, you also get the ability to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of information we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes and the contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties (under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84). If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to email@example.com. We won’t even ask you for a bottle of Napa Valley chardonnay in return (but if you send one, our staff will happily accept).
International Users and Visitors
We’d be happy to answer them. Shoot us an email or send us a note:
Hawthorne Lab Inc.
394 Broadway Floor 6
New York, NY 10013
Effective Date: November 28, 2018